Waiting on Wednesday: Cress

Merry Christmas, everybody! I hope you are having a lovely holiday full of food, family, laughter, friends, and, of course, books! If you haven't gone to bed yet, you definitely need to get on that because Santa won't visit you if you're awake! ;)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases.


Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)
by Marissa Meyer
Coming February 4, 2014
Feiwel & Friends

 
Summary:
Rapunzel's tower is a satellite. She can't let down her hair - or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker – unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

Why I want it:
I'm going to be really honest right now: I've actually already read Cress. *hides* A friend very graciously lent me her ARC, which she did not need to do. It was incredibly kind of her. THANK YOU. So why am I still waiting? For my own copy, of course! At this point, I'm culling the amount of physical books I buy for myself because I am quickly running out of room. For the most part, I am limiting myself to either a first book in a series or just my favorite, but Cress is one that I will most definitely be buying. It's JUST that good.

Why I think you should want it:
Three words for you: Captain. Carswell. Thorne. That's it. Show's over. Throw your bras onstage now and be done with it. I don't know what's up with this crop of sassy-pantsed secondaries like Thorne and Sturmhond from the Grisha trilogy, but I like it. I like it a lot, and you should too. I'm actually really upset that Thorne didn't make finals in the Book Shimmy Award for secondary character most in need of his own book, but then I forgot that most people haven't read Cress yet. If the BSA's have a second year, there's no way you people won't vote for him.

Other than Thorne, you'll really enjoy Cress, our new, slightly hirsute leading lady. She's vastly different from both Cinder and Scarlet, but it's a good different. I love that Marissa's heroines are so diverse, but so strong and so relatable. Cress is a bit more timid than Cinder and Scarlet, but she's still plenty spunky and crazy smart to [re]boot (sorry, that was a terrible pun, but get it? Reboot cause she's a hacker? *coughs* anyway...). :P Thanks to the interplay between Thorne and Cress, this third installment is probably the most humorous so far, but beware: there's still a minefield of MAJOR FEELS in store. The good news, at least, is that something happens that I think we've all been waiting for. Bad news is, somebody gets screwed WICKED HAHD (that's my fake Boston accent coming out). No, really, one character is in serious trouble which starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for...good heavens, I really don't know what's wrong with me. I know I'm being ridiculous as I write this, but I think my censor has shut down for the night. I'm so sorry. My point is, you'll enjoy this book a lot (I thought it was even better than Scarlet, which is a really good sign), but you'll be cursing Marissa's name possibly the entire time. And yes, this sets up for book 4 very nicely, and I can't wait!

I again apologize for my ridiculousness so please don't leave me lumps of coal or throw tomatoes on this lovely Christmas day! Share your WoW links instead!

3 comments:

  1. I seriously NEED this book. But I am buying myself a finished copy, so I have to wait the full amount. It's killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must start with reading this series :D
    Great pick :)

    Merry Christmas to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one series I really need to start reading. Great choice!!

    Here is my WoW from this week: http://www.jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/12/waiting-on-wednesday-isla-and-happily.html

    ReplyDelete