Waiting on Wednesday: Captive by Aimée Carter


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases.


Captive
The Blackcoat Rebellion #2
by author
Coming November 25, 2014
Harlequin Teen


Summary:
For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?

Why I want it:
I really enjoyed Pawn. Aimée created this really cool dystopian world, but she kept the drama in the family in book one to showcase the way a dystopian world can affect relationships with your family as well as romantic partners. There are so many surprises in Pawn, and I'm really exited to see what is uncovered next. Plus, I just really have a soft spot for Knox and Greyson. I was intrigued by both of them, and I think they have some serious secrets they're still hiding. I can't wait to see how the dynamic changes in the face of what seems to be this family drama being blown up on a larger scale.

Why I think you should want it:
I know everybody seems to be a bit burned out on dystopian, but I really think you should give The Blackcoat Rebellion a shot. The characters are really round, really dynamic. On a technical level, I am so impressed with the way Aimée has balanced internal and external motivations with layers of characterization. Each of the characters has a purpose and each affects the story in drastic and exciting ways. If this sounds vague, it's only because there are so many shocking moments when crazy secrets are revealed that I don't want to accidentally give any of those surprises away. Usually I pride myself on being able to guess what's coming next in a book (while simultaneously being sad that I'm usually able to see through any "surprises"), but I was so pleasantly surprised that Aimée was able to keep me guessing at every turn. It was fantastic! You can read my full 4 1/2 star review of Pawn here if you want to read more reasons why I really enjoyed it. As for Captive, if you haven't read Pawn, I can tell you that Elsewhere is one of the freakiest, most terrifying places I've ever heard of in ya, and I am VERY excited (and nervous, horrified, freaked out, etc) to see what happens there this time. Its mention in the summary means that Aimée is pulling no punches in this second book, which is sure to be equally thrilling and explosive.

 Will you be picking up Captive this November? Have you read Pawn? Let me know your thoughts and your picks for this week's WoW in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I love this cover! I haven't read the first book, so I won't read the summary; instead I'm going to find the first one on Goodreads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to start this series! It's been on my TBR for way too long. Great choice.
    Here's my W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for this one too! I loved Pawn, and I finally borrowed The Goddess Test from the library so I'm excited to start that. Awesome pick though!

    ReplyDelete