Waiting on Wednesday: The Art of Lainey


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases.


The Art of Lainey
by Paula Stokes
Coming January 28, 2014
Harper Teen

 
Summary:
Soccer star Lainey Mitchell is used to getting what she wants, and when her boyfriend Jason breaks up with her for no reason, what she wants is to win him back before the start of their senior year. Lainey and her friend Bianca check the interwebz for tips and tricks, but the online dating advice is all pretty lame.

Then the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. Didn't someone once say that love is a battlefield? Jason isn't going to stand a chance once Lainey and Bee go all Zhou Dynasty on him...

Old school strategy and subterfuge meet modern-day dramarama in the story of a girl who sets out to win at all costs and ends up discovering what's really worth fighting for.

Why I want it:
Sports + romantic warfare. I am SO there. Bring on the Pat Benatar! In all seriousness, I do like Paula's reasoning behind this novel: it's easy for the shy, bookish protagonists to be down on guys because they feel overlooked. What DOES happen when it's the pretty, popular girl who gets dumped? Hijinks are sure to ensue! This summary had me so excited on FIRST GLANCE that I immediately began stalking obsessively shadowing talking with Paula, and I jumped at the opportunity to be on Team Lainey.

Okay. So...I wrote this post up a while ago. At the time, I really was waiting on The Art of Lainey. But then I received an ARC, and there was no way I was going to continue to wait. So, yes, I read it. Don't judge me. You know you would too, and I can tell you that yes, this book is well worth waiting for. There is a reason it's received only 5 star reviews on Goodreads so far. It's so much fun, but there are also serious life issues addressed that will resonate with readers of all ages. I am still waiting on Lainey, but now, I am waiting for a hardcover. The Art of Lainey has become a beloved book on my shelf, and I plan on many rereads! 

Why I think you should want it:
I know you've read the Austen retellings and the fairytale reimaginings and the Shakespeare adaptations, but guys. THE ART OF WAR. This is going to be a fun read for sure. Plus, this is Paula's first published book outside the world of Secrets of the Eternal Rose. Aren't you excited to see something new?! I know I am! Not to mention, you are going to want Micah in your life. Trust me on this one!

So what book has tickled YOUR fancy enough to be your first 2014 WoW pick? Share your links!

2 comments:

  1. Great Pick!! I haven't seen this book before, but the description sounds fantastic. I am definitely adding it to my TBR list.

    Here is my WoW: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2014/01/waiting-on-wednesday-geography-of-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love re-tellings!! I didn't know this was one. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for it. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete