Waiting on Wednesday: #scandal by Sarah Ockler


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases.


#scandal
by Sarah Ockler
Coming June 17, 2014
Simon Pulse


Summary:
Lucy’s learned some important lessons from tabloid darling Jayla Heart’s all-too-public blunders: Avoid the spotlight, don’t feed the Internet trolls, and keep your secrets secret. The policy has served Lucy well all through high school, so when her best friend Ellie gets sick before prom and begs her to step in as Cole’s date, she accepts with a smile, silencing about ten different reservations. Like the one where she’d rather stay home shredding online zombies. And the one where she hates playing dress-up. And especially the one where she’s been secretly in love with Cole since the dawn of time.

When Cole surprises her at the after party with a kiss under the stars, it’s everything Lucy has ever dreamed of… and the biggest BFF deal-breaker ever. Despite Cole’s lingering sweetness, Lucy knows they’ll have to ’fess up to Ellie. But before they get the chance, Lucy’s own Facebook profile mysteriously explodes with compromising pics of her and Cole, along with tons of other students’ party indiscretions. Tagged. Liked. And furiously viral.

By Monday morning, Lucy’s been branded a slut, a backstabber, and a narc, mired in a tabloid-worthy scandal just weeks before graduation.

Lucy’s been battling undead masses online long enough to know there’s only one way to survive a disaster of this magnitude: Stand up and fight. Game plan? Uncover and expose the Facebook hacker, win back her best friend’s trust, and graduate with a clean slate.

There’s just one snag—Cole. Turns out Lucy’s not the only one who’s been harboring unrequited love...

Why I want it:
I loved Twenty Boy Summer. And Bittersweet. And The Book of Broken Hearts. And from what I'm getting from #scandal's description blows them ALL away. Sarah has this really fresh writing style that knocks out beautiful contemporary romances that always cleanse my palate in between intense series. I always get really emotional when I read Sarah's work because everything is so real, so relatable, but they're so unique.

Why I think you should want it:
Sarah's a master of standalones, which is not something a lot of people can brag. She gives really amazing, full, well-constructed stories with plot AND characterization in 400 pages or less. THAT, my friends, is talent. These stories are quintessential high school stories, but there's always an air of being More. It's more than just high school drama. Sarah gives life to your inner teenager, gives voice to all those hopes and dreams and fears and crushes and the passion, the excitement, the crushing despair. Everything comes out in the pages of her books. You'll feel like you're in high school again, but not in a bad way. The story just...envelops you. THAT is why you should want this book. Because Sarah can do all that. BAM.

Also, seriously, look at that title, that cover, that summary. I DARE YOU to tell me that the idea of a book taking on social media doesn't make you excited to read about it.

28 comments:

  1. I just chose this last week. I love Sarah's books so much. I can't wait to get my hand on #scandal especially cause the summary sounds so freaking interesting. Such a great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't WAIT to read it! Sarah's an amazing writer.

      Delete
  2. Nice pick! Doesn't look like my kind of read but I still hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

    Thanks for visiting my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read any book by this author but I have heard great things about her books. I hope you'll get this one soon :)
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's up on Edelweiss so I really hope I can snag a copy.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of this before. Not really my type of book but I do hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it.

    Thanks for stopping by My WoW and sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, and I hope I can get it soon! Thanks for visiting, Kristin!

      Delete
  5. Hello Mary! I'm thrilled to see a book about young people dealing with social media drama - it's become so intertwined our lives that it's a relevant topic. Thanks for sharing!

    Ellen @ Glamorous Book Lounge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Ellen! I'm really excited about this one!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great book! I haven't read any of her books, but I have one in my TBR, I'll have to get to it soon:)

    Thanks for stopping by my WoW!
    Katie @ The Quiet Girl Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This on is on Edelweiss if you're interested, Katie! I definitely recommend all her books!

      Delete
  7. The plot sounds really interesting and even more so because it's a standalone. Great pick!
    Thanks for stopping by.

    Johanna @ Challenging Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of Sarah's are standalones, which is nice (although her debut COULD have a sequel, if she decided to write one). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I already have this one on my TBR and how could I not? It sounds amazing!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Edelweiss, Vanya, so you might be able to get it early!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a good read and I have heard good things about this author,

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could meet her because her books are awesome! Thanks for stopping by, Teresa!

      Delete
  10. Your "Why I think you should want it" convinced me! Thanks for stopping by, Mary!

    Sabrina @ I Heart Y.A. Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, sounds good :) Thanks for stopping by!

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh I've heard of this one and it sounds awesome! I love that there's actually a hashtag in the title xD Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a unique title. The only problem is that when I talk about it on Twitter, everyone thinks I'm talking about the tv show.

      Delete
  13. aah so excited! I love sarah ockler!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I feel so behind with this author. But the cover and synopsis really caught my eye! I did absolutely love Twenty Boy.

    ReplyDelete