Top Ten Tuesday #12: Most Memorable Secondary Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week the girls at B&B think up a fun theme, and participating bloggers post their favorite 10 books in that category. This week's theme is

Top Ten Most Memorable Secondary Characters
Guys, I have a type. I am well aware of this, and no, I don't have a problem with it.
Can you guess what it is?

1. Emmett from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Words can't express how much I adore Emmett. I mean, he's big, tall, and ridiculously handsome. He's also hilarious and from the mountains of East Tennessee, just like me. The fact that Emmett was played by Kellen Lutz, who I fell in love with when he was the seemingly-stupid skateboarder from Accepted just made me swoon even more. You may hate the end of Breaking Dawn (or the entire book), but I think that had the field confrontation gone down differently, my poor Emmett would have been a goner. I can only be grateful that Steph spared him and, in the process, me. Oh, and Rose, I guess. Psh.

2. Eddie from Vampire Academy/Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. Poor Eddie hasn't had it easy. He was a pretty happy-go-lucky guy. Talented, but kind of a goofball and then WHAM! The guy gets kidnapped and used as a dhampir vending machine for the feeding pleasure of a sadistic douchenozzle of a vampire. Also, his best friend dies at the hands of the same douchenozzle vamp. He has major guilt issues and Gets Serious about his education and life in general. The guy is majorly loyal and incredibly masochistic. By the time Bloodlines rolls around, he's fallen in Like-with-a-capital-L with his charge...who is dating his closest friend. Talk about rough. I adore Eddie, and I only hope Richelle gives him his Happily Ever After. He deserves it! Can't wait to see how Eddie is played in the movies!

3. Henry from My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. I mean, how could I not? I'm in love with Henry. I just want to cuddle him all the time. The kid is adorable and a certifiable genius. I still maintain hope that one day Huntley will write a spin-off about him all grown up. The kid is destined to be a total heartbreaker for sure.

4. Genya from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I just really liked Genya. You could tell she'd been through some major crap in her life. I hope things turn out well for her. Her short story "The Tailor" shed a little light, which made me both more sympathetic and a little angry at her, but I have hope that she'll Do the Right Thing in the end.

5. Kenji from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Such a prankster. He totally cracks me up. I love hearing Tahereh's stories about how she uses her brothers as inspiration as Kenji. I've heard her tell the "I can't hear myself talk" story like three times now and it never gets old.

6. Roar from Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Oh, Roar. I love you so. Big, loyal, kind, funny, but also surprisingly vulnerable. I love his and Perry's relationship, but I love him with Aria just as much. He's a total bro, in the best way. My heart breaks for him all the time, but it amazes me how he can just pick himself up and keep going.

7. Joey Cosentino from Winger by Andrew Smith. It never failed to make me laugh when Ryan Dean West would make some stupid comment or choice and Joey would always be there to keep him in check with a "grow up" or an eyeroll. Everybody needs someone with as much sense as Joey.

8. Ambrose from Die For Me by Amy Plum. Whenever there was trouble, Ambrose was there with a smile and some really big muscles as he ran around saying Katie-Lou. I wanted to smack him sometimes for being so blind, but he eventually got my not-so-telepathic message.

9. Hector from Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. This guy. Like Emmett, he had the big brother role down. His complete devotion to his family, even when they literally all wanted to kill one another, is extraordinarily touching and inspirational. He never thought of himself, only of his loved ones, and he let his heart be open to new people to love. I don't want to give everything away, but Hector in Goddess made me sob uncontrollably.

10. Jack Dandy from the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross. Oh, my. The accent. It's all about the accent. I actually have to say his dialogue aloud to get the almost-full experience. I have enjoyed every minute Jack has spent on the page. His relationship with Finley just cracks me up. "The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy" was certainly intriguing. I haven't read Girl with the Iron Touch yet so I'm hoping the novella leads right in, and that Jack will be around for the remainder of the series.

11. I was remiss in forgetting another favorite so you'll have to forgive me for the late addition: Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I was Neville fangirl way back in SS. I love that he always stood for the right, even when it meant standing against his friends. Neville is a boss. That is all.

And my all-time favorite secondary character:
Fred Weasley from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I can't even. You guys know why. I don't have to tell you.

Honorable mention aka favorite secondaries who were upgraded to MCs: Adrian Ivashkov from VA/Bloodlines, Orion from Starcrossed, Jules from Revenants

I'm also REALLY loving the boys in the Medusa Girls (Sweet Venom) trilogy right now: Thane, Milo, & Nick. Also Sillus. Not quite favorites yet, but I adore them!

Well? Have you figured it out yet? Yes, I like the (often) big guys with big senses of humor. What can I say? Humor is sexy! Also, muscles, of course. Who is your favorite secondary? Have a TTT? Share in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Mary, Mary, Mary. HOW did I know EMMETT would make your list? (; I love you, darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly I have become utterly predictable!

      Delete